The secret to a smaller waist is “LIFT”!

Planks,pilates,core training etc are great to get a flat belly because they all strengthen your transverse abdominus,and the whole core area.

Yes, People get a flat belly from this from the side view,but what about the front view?

Well, some people get a wider waist from the front,like a damn wide screen TV! and we don’t want that right!!?? not as females!

We all are born with different shapes of our waists, some have a tiny waist,some are born with a wide waist,some are born with waists that are straight with no curves on the sides etc

So, you can’t get a really small waist if you have a wide waist to begin with(wide ribcage)

But we can all improve our waists and body to the better! to look more like an hourglass body.

The waist is the center of our bodies,so it is from the waist that will determined(mostly) how your body shape will look like.So I think that the waist is one area that you should put most your focus on if you want a curvy body along with lower body exercises for legs and butt/hips

But now I am writing about the WAIST so I am not going to write anything on sculpting your lower half!

I write this post just because some of you have said that you get a wider waist from the planks or pilates etc and I am here to explain why some people get “wider” waists

First…

The planks are a static exercise and static means that you are going to be still and not move a muscle as you do with squats,lunges,biceps curl etc

so static exercises will only train the smalerl muscles in your body,and those can never be big,and static exercises can never train a muscle big

Situps and crunches on the other hand can train a muscle “big”.. now, abs are not big in it selfs, but they can look “big” or “blocky” on a women and this will also give you a thicker waist.and it will be more noticeable when you put on weight.

Back to the planks and other static core exercises…

The idea here is to PULL IN your belly button into your spine as far as you can and HOLD as long as you can,note that you will only “pull in” your belly button to your spine.

This will help you to hold in your organs etc and you will look flat from the side.

But if you do this kind of exercise too much,your nervous system get use to this “movement” by just pulling in your belly button to your spine and will in the end go on  autopilot,

which means that  you do it on a daily basis without thinking about it,this “new” movement have become a habit for you now(well it is not bad,this is a good thing if you are thinking about the function of this to support your lower back and posture etc)

But this can also gives you a new look on your waist,a wider waist(MAYBE,not happen to everyone)

What they don’t learn you is that you should also “lift” your whole core/waist up to your chest to get a smaller and more lifted and longer waist so it appears smaller to your physique

And here is where stomach vaccum comes in, because stomach vaccum exercise help you to “lift” your waist as well and not ONLY pull in your belly button

If you do the planks,remember to lift your core as well in your daily life so you don’t end up with the wide screen look on your waist.

You can also combine stomach vaccum with the planks,or only stick with stomach vaccum if you are afraid that your nervous system will be used with one movement like the planks or other core exercises.

This is stomach vaccum

To demonstrate how your waist will look when you only pull your belly button into your spine(from the planks,pilates and core exercises) and from pulling belly button in PLUS lift your waist.

Look at my two pics, they are both from the same day,same time etc, I just demonstrate how your waist can look from how you train yourself.

SO the secret to a smaller waist is LIFT your waist UP! First pull in your belly button and then LIFT, don’t forget that;-)

Try this in front the mirror,think about making your waist as long/tall as you can,and then  by ONLY pull your belly button in to your spine without lifting your waist up

and see how your waist change.

I hope this article was helpful:-)

Edit…I am bulking up so my belly is bigger(hard to make it look smaller) but I hope you can see the different in my midsection anyway from this demonstration.

CLICK on the pic

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Comments on “The secret to a smaller waist is “LIFT”!”

1. Chris June 9, 2012 at 11:45 am #

WOW what a difference!!! Thats just amazing!

2. Mayi June 9, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Hello!
    What are your measurements? you have not updated them in a while. and your weight as well…

3. Liz June 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

Hi,

So how do you do the stomach vacuum exercise?

4. yesmeoh June 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Chris,

Yes, it is a big different and everyone can change their waist right away by doing this.

Mayi,

I don’t know my measurements at the moment, I will measure myself one time per month,but I am bulking up so I will wait to write my new measurements when I have gained some first;-)
    And for my weight, I don’t have a scale.

Liz,

That is stomach vaccum

5. Thao Pham June 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

omg, thats amazing!!!! really :) im glad that i check your website everyday cuz all those tips you gave us are very useful. I love it, very much :) thanks a lotttttt

• yesmeoh June 12, 2012 at 11:53 am #

You are welcome:-) I am glad that you like my website:-)

xoxo

6. Liz June 12, 2012 at 2:03 am #

Sorry!! My phone didn’t show the video in ur post! Thanks

• yesmeoh June 12, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Perhaps you must install adobe flash player?

xoxo

7. Bluenpurple June 13, 2012 at 1:54 am #

Hi! First I just want to say you are my idol! And your are amazing!!!
    Second. I don’t get the whole lift thing. When u say push your belly button toyour spine..??? I’m lost! Like do i push out my stomach and lift? Or push in my stomach? And how do I lift it? I tried it like your picture, but I couldn’t get it!

• yesmeoh June 14, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Hi Bluenpurple!

Aaaaw thanks dear;-)!

Yes, you should pull in your belly and then pull it up like you are lifting your whole core up to the sealing
      you will lift it up with the help of your ab muscle,it is hard to explain it better lol

xoxo

8. mosho June 23, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

so just doing this will really lift the waist? and this alone? naturally i have a small waistline with abs but its not as slim and high as i would like it to be? will this alone help?

9. brenda July 24, 2012 at 5:27 am #

hi! omg i look just like the pic on the left! i used to have a frkn small waist and big hips before having my baby. shes now 9 months old and I still cant achieve getting a small waist. Its does not want to get smaller or sum.! ughh ! Ive been trying cardio and all that stuff imma try this tho” toodles! :) love you by tha way mija!

• yesmeoh July 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

Hi Brenda!

Try to do the exercise and also..9 months is not long time since you had a baby, it can take a few years before your belly will look more normal, so be patient and do your best
      With my first child, it took me 2 years before my belly looked more normal again

From my second pregnancy, I did recover much faster.not really fully recovered yet of course, but I will give it some time

xoxo

10. Layla August 11, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

How long will it take me to see the difference? And your blog is amazing

• yesmeoh August 12, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Thanks Layla!

You can see results within a few days if you do them a lot, but more noticeable results comes after 6 weeks

xoxo

11. intensivehealing July 24, 2013 at 5:54 am #

Hi Lo,

I just started doing Transverse abdominals for my Diastasis Recti ( its pretty bad, 3 fingers fit ) I had my daughter a year and 6 months ago. The same exact day I started doing the exercises, my stomach started looking blocky… I freaked the heck out! I immediately stopped. Will the vaccum help with my Diastasis Recti? I really want to close the gap but don’t want to look like a TV.

• LO July 24, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Hi there,

Well In just one day you wont get results so I guess in your case, you have pulled in your belly only inwards and that creates the more “wide look”
      You should do side planks as well to tighten the sides of your abs.

and when you do vaccum, pull IN and UP; so you use your side abs as well to get more of an hourglass formed waist

it takes months to see good results, but you will feel it after a few weeks and see some small changes

keep your comments related to the post

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s