Protein shakes and gain weight

Do you gain weight(fat) from drinking protein shakes?

I often hear skinny/slim girls who want to gain weight say “hey, I am going to buy some protein powder because I need to gain weight” or ” I want to buy protein powder so that my butt will grow”

or girls who does not know anything about training or nutrition and just spread false information because they have “RESEARCH for months” on how to gain curves/muscles and read something on internet

about “training” and “nutrition”…

Just because protein powder is a good supplement for those who wants to gain lean muscles or lose weight does not mean it is a MIRACLE POWDER because it is NOT.

You can get results from only eat protein in your diet,and MOST girls overconsume protein because they have read that it is good for muscle growth.they believe it is a miracle product and that they will gain fast

only by drinking protein shakes,or take other expensive supplements

Protein is good  to eat if you want to gain LEAN muscles,NOT to add FAT,AND protein it selfs will not do much for you if you DO NOT TRAIN WITH WEITHS

Protein will not help you gain a bigger butt just because you drink a lot of protein shakes,and NO, protein will not ONLY feed your arse,hips or thighs,there are no foods or supplements that will only

help to gain a certain body part by just eat it.

so forget about this!

Protein for weight gain is not a good choice(if you don’t want to gain LEAN muscles,but then you have to hit the gym hard as well to gain some)

If you really want to gain weight.then it is all about CALORIES; you have to eat a lot more than you BURN to gain weight,and  the best nutrient to use for that is carbohydrates combine with fat in your diet

this will give you a rapid weight gain!

Why do I say that protein is not a good choice for weight gain? well it is because it produce hormones such as glycogen and IGF-1 which are two hormones that stimulates fat burn

so, if you consume more protein,you will also have a better fat loss process,so that would be the opposite of what you want.BUT if you consume more calories and based it on protein,well you will gain weight because of

MORE calories and not from the protein itself.so it is a waste of money(cuz protein is expensive)

If you eat more carbohydrates on the other hand,you will gain fat FAST,because it produce insulin,insulin is a GREAT hormone that help with muscle gain and also fat gains,if you also combine it with fat(a lot of fat mixed with carbohydrates) then you will gain very fast with a + calorie intake.

If you on the other hand want to gain lean muscles and don’t want to put on too much fat on your body when you eat more calories than you burn, a great way to prevent too much fat on your “bulk up phase” would be

to consume(add) more protein into your diet in addition to your daily calorie intake.

Tags: , , , , ,

64 Comments on “Protein shakes and gain weight”

1. tanya February 2, 2012 at 9:28 am #

very good article thanks for sharing! im one of those skinny girls who thoughtlike that lol..im happy to knowthis now :)!

• yesmeoh February 2, 2012 at 9:32 am #

you are welcome:-)! Yes, you are not the only one who thought like that,so that is why I wanted to do a little article about this so you know the truth instead of false information ,and that you can gain weight now:-)

2. Alma February 2, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Hi alright so if I wanna gain a butt what would be better , drinking protien and going to work out or eating carbs amd going to work out, but one thing that scares me about protien shakes is that my arms are gonna get biger

• yesmeoh February 2, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Alma…did you not READ my article?? protein will NOT gain a certain area by just drink it

if you want muscles in your butt,then drink protein shake after each workout and train your ass off HARD!
      if you want to gain a fatty butt(but overall fatty body) then eat more carbs and fats

• Alma February 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

I understand but if im lifting weights to gain butt musual and then drink protein it wont affect my arms

• yesmeoh February 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

No dear,as long as you don’t lift heavy for your arms and train them

3. Elyse February 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

i want to gain weight (fat) so i can work on my thighs to get bigger and my waist smaller…what foods would you recommend? and thank you for the insight on protein shakes wheww good thing i saw that article before i went to buy.

• yesmeoh February 23, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Even if you want to gain weight,try to use healthy foods,and eat more of healthy fats combine with low to medium high carbs,and also protein
      If you check out “recipes ” in the top of the page,you will find links to different healthy recipes

Good luck:-)

4. D'a March 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

I have to eat extra protein because my body won’t build muscle, and so far it’s working. But my gosh, the quantities of protein I have to consume are pathetic. I hate the powder, so I just eat tons of high-in-protein-food, and drink the powdered protein mixed with milk once a day. It’s like drinking sludge, but i’m building muscle now, so whatever i guess haha.

5. Julie April 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

if anybody wants something with a high amount of protein in it, i would recommend hemp rather than whey as it also has amino acids in it (naturally)

• yesmeoh April 11, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Hemp is not near whey protein in biological value, so no hemp is not better than whey
      hemp could be something for those who are lactose intolerant

Also, this article is about gaining weight and protein,protein is not the first thing you want if you want to gain fat and not lean muscles

6. ha August 13, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

hello l.o
    first of all thanx for the great info u provided :D
    my height is 154cm and my weight ranges around 50-53 .
    my question is can i aviod protien shakes and just workout with weight 3 times a week and increase my caloire intake . i would provide myself with protien after working out like drinking banana juice with milk . would this help me gain weight and gain muslces ?

thanx alot

7. kyrie August 21, 2012 at 3:52 am #

now i know why the milk shake did no effect to my body at all, thank you for your article!~

8. Ashley September 2, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Thanks for writing this article you have just saved me from spending alot of money on these damn shakes.

9. haniya September 16, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

hi i am very slim i want to get my lower legs , thighs and butt big or fatty please help me what i do ? what food supplements should i take or what kind of exercise i do ?

10. ruby September 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

hiii… im so glad tht i found ur page hve so many useful info .. i read yur article yu mentiond tht protein shake is nt gud .. i brought it but didnt open it yet. it says for muslice nd gain weight i dnt wont muscle reali jus want to gain weight..

i read yur oda article meal n meal plan which u suggest protein powder is tht same lyk protian shake or different is protein powder gud? does tht help to gain weight.. i want to gain weight reali .. im reali skinny i want to focus on my arm n leg ..

my arm reali skinny is lyk 3 or 4 yr old kid arm nd am only 22 so embrassing lol … n for to cover my skinny arm i hve to wear to layer to cover it … nd thing is tht i neva get hungry i jus force my self to eat reali … can yu pls suggest what shall i do ? ..

11. syreeta September 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

I tend to gain weight in my tummy area faster, how can I train y body so that fat is redirected to my but and hips and thighs instead…..

12. Akeisha September 30, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

What’s the best protein shake to drink?

• yesmeoh October 2, 2012 at 7:04 am #

Whey protein is a great protein source.

xoxo

13. sexyshay1989 October 9, 2012 at 6:12 am #

how much protein would be the right amount to consume if you want to gain lean muscle? is 15g enough or should i consume more like 30g?. thanks

• yesmeoh October 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

At least 20-30 gram per meal from either food or whey protein powder

xoxo

14. korina October 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

Hi my name is Nina and well i just had a baby 6 mnths ago snd had a c section… Sux. Well first this first i adrmire your beautiful body! well i started working out agen! doing mostly squats and lunges to get my butt bigger n rounder. Nit feeling do sexy! My wuestion is jow much weight should i do with the squats iv been doing about 50 lbs. is that to to light?

• yesmeoh October 18, 2012 at 9:53 am #

HI nina!

Thank you and congrats to your baby”!

We all have to start with our own fitness level and strength, if you can do more than 15 reps on squats with 50 lbs then it is too light for you, the idea is to increase your weights when you get stronger, and you should
      train to positive failure,when you can’t lift a single more reps in that set because of muscle exhaustion

xoxo

15. Ety November 14, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Hi LO,
    How about high calorie protein shakes like ‘up your mass’ which can give you 510 calories per serving?

• yesmeoh November 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Hi Ety,

Yes, but that is not protein only, they have added carbohydrates and fat in it as well and of course you will gain from that

16. diana s November 25, 2012 at 6:54 am #

Hi my name is diana..n i also wanna have musual on my legs n lift my butt oh make it fatty do u think drinking protein and doing zumba would hel ?

• yesmeoh November 25, 2012 at 8:07 am #

HI,

Zumba wont give you that,it will help burn fat

xoxo

17. Shay November 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

Is it possible to gain a fatty and muscle-y butt? If so how? Because I’m currently doing a weight loss program and I reduced my calories and I noticed I’m losing my butt a little. So when I’m lose my stomach I want to get my butt back.

• yesmeoh November 26, 2012 at 10:06 am #

you can only gain fat and muscle by eating more calories than you burn.

xoxo

18. Angel December 3, 2012 at 11:39 am #

Can i use high calorie protien powder to gain 10 pounds in 2 weeks i might go on a 5000 calorie diet is that too much i just want to gain weight but have trouble eating and that seems to be the best way to get the most calories plz answer i need help

19. Norma December 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Hello my name is Norma and the biggest problem I have is eating more, what can I do/take that would help me?

20. michela! December 29, 2012 at 4:23 am #

Thank you for being very informative but im just a bit confused. im 20 and 4’11″ I weigh 107 pounds and i like my body , i do not want to lose weight at all. I am curvy as well . I just wanna tone up my stomach but not lose my but nor boobs. So protein shakes are out of the question since u already specifyed that makes u lose weight! Is there some sort of calorie/carbohydrates shake or is it just that i have to eat more ? i hope you understand my question. What do i have to do to tone my stomach but keep my but and boobs or even possibly make my butt bigger while also toning my stomach. For example: strength training or body sculpting or weight traing or cardio training and are there calorie shakes or is it food i must consume?? Thank you for your patience and informative forum!

• yesmeoh December 29, 2012 at 11:44 am #

HI Michalea,

You wont lose weight if you consume more calories more than you burn even if you use protein. protein is necessary if you want to gain muscles so you should not leave it out, if you just eat more cals than you burn
      then you will gain weight.

xoxo

21. Sarah December 31, 2012 at 8:08 am #

What protein shake do you recommend? To gain the muscle on your butt? But I also know you needa train for it too.

• yesmeoh December 31, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

sarah,

Whey protein is pretty much the best protein you can get to help your muscles grow

22. nessa January 2, 2013 at 6:24 am #

hello i currently weight 88 pounds and doctors told me i need to gain weight. i eat more then normal but somehow cant gain weight however i want to gain weight with more curves as you can imagine i’m really thin and have no curves. what can i do and or eat to change things..
    i

• yesmeoh January 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

Hi nessa,

read my tips for skinny/slim girls

23. Sindu January 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Hi yesmeoh
    I have read your article and felt that finally I have reached right page.
    Am also one of the skinny gals who dont have chubby cheeks.
    but,I really want to have chubby cheeks within a month.And want to increase my butt lil bit.
    I started eating regualr meals 4 times a day.previously i used to have only 2 times.but still i cudnt put fat on my cheeks and butt.:(
    Please do help me out of this problem.I really wish to have chubby cheeks sooner.Am loosing confidence in me day by day by having such problem in me.
    Please say me, how to get chubby cheeks and butt sooner in a month or two .will be very thankful to you.I swear.
    hope to hear from you soon.

24. shivanie January 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Hi I really skinney I weight 95 pounds I really want to gain some waight

25. jes February 6, 2013 at 5:45 am #

Hello, may u please tell me the exact shake to make (ingredients) because i research and research but cant seem to come to a conclusion… I jus want to tone my muscles nd gain weight. Tho im 140 nd slightly thick i would love to be thicker/more curves lol. May u help me with a conclusion

26. Viviana February 19, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

So I’m trying to gain weight but I also plan on working out to build muscle and I’m considering buying protein but what carbohydrates would you recommend me to consume?

27. Tabitha March 9, 2013 at 3:53 am #

Hello yesmeoh girl your body is inspiratio!!! So my question is with the whey protein an working out ie lunges an squats I should see results with getting my butt a nice round size?? Also are there any other exercises you recommend to achieve that goal?? Thanks

• yesmeoh March 9, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Hello Tabitha,

Yes, if you start train your butt and also eat more protein so your muscles can grow(if you train your butt then your butt muscles will grow) you will get that nice round butt
      There is a lot of exercises out there that works good:-)

28. derreon March 17, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

Hi my name is derreon I am trying to get back in shape the areas I am working on is my stomach, my waist,my thighs,my butt,my hips what is the best workouts to do I have lose 20 pounds I don’t plan on losing and more I’m 150 pounds well I want to wide my hips and to grain more inches on my booty and flaten my stomach and tone my thighs ect

29. sandy March 25, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Hni Yesmeoah, I am so glad I have found your website. I have been clicking on for about a month now. I have been underweight all my life and since following your blogs on how to eat I have put on a few pounds. I make sure I eat every 3 hours , breakfast, lunch dinner and snacks in between. I don’t lift weights. I was wondering how can I increase my weight even further as it seems to be at a standstill. I mostly eat yams, potatoes, rice with african cuisine. I have found that nuts don’t really increase my weight and I need to eat oatmeal as my last food to see siginificant weight increase.

Also some people say that eating less frequently helps to put on weight rather than eating frequently. How can this be possible?

• yesmeoh March 26, 2013 at 10:20 am #

hi Sandy,

If you don’t gain more weight ,then you don’t eat enough even if you think so
      My suggestion is that you count your calories for 3-5 day’s and see how much cals you get per day

nuts have a lot of calories and fats in them so you should gain from that but you need to eat more,more cals than you burn, that is the key

xoxo

• sandy March 26, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

Hi Yesmeoh, thanks for your reply. I will increase my food intake. The only thing is do you mean I should eat more bigger portions every time I eat. If so I was thinking how will I manage as I eat every 3 hours and i will be feeling very full.

Examples of what I eat in a day is:

Breakfast Oatmeal will full fat milk

Snack three hours later : 3 scramble eggs made with butter and fat milk
        and one tomato and 1 slice of sourdough bread. At the moment I am trying to be gluten free.

Lunch Rice with spinach stew and tuna

Snack Sourdough bread and peanut butter

Dinner Potatoes and chicken stew

Then oatmeal before bed

Sometimes I don’t get to eat 5 times a day, mostly 4 times a day.

I tried drinking milk but I can’t see what it is doing, seems to make my body hard but water increases my weight.

So I need to increase my portions per sitting?

Thanks. Thank God I found you.

• yesmeoh March 28, 2013 at 10:12 am #

HI Sandy,

Yes,increase your portions/calories if you want to gain even more

Keep it up and do your best:-)

xoxo

30. sandy April 16, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Hi Yesmeoh, I have started taking 3 teaspons of olive oil a day for weight gain. Do you know anything about olive oil for weight gain and/or how safe it is?

31. Prisca J June 17, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

hy LO, my name is Prisca, am very skinny wit litle curve n i want 2 gain weight n curve b4 novembre,bcuz i will b geting married den so i realy want 2 luk beautiful dat day. So wat do u recomend me 2 do.

• LO June 20, 2013 at 9:51 am #

Go to the section for thin women—->HERE

32. Maje June 25, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Thanks because I was about to be one of those people eating protein all the time! So, thanks for the info!!!!

33. saadia July 4, 2013 at 9:26 am #

hii..am a thin and skinny girl..and want 2 gain weight N height in a month..is it possible? :/

34. Miah July 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

Hii!
    Okay so the protein shakes help build muscle at the body part where you train hard/most right?
    Just wanted to make sure. I don’t want to lose my butt, but build muscle instead and make it look bigger. So i guess exercise for there and protein shake would do?

• LO July 14, 2013 at 10:38 am #

Hi,

Your muscles need a bit extra protein in order to grow,and if you train your butt, then you will make it grow as well

35. daisy July 24, 2013 at 4:37 am #

Hey just a quick question..im staring to loose weight i use to weight 115 after i had my daughter 4 months ago so now i weighg 99 and im too skiiny from everywhere im exercising but i want to drink a protein shake to get muscle in my legs ,butt tighs i dnt want to be fat just have more body bcuz im too skiiny just have a nice body can you tell me what kind of protein shake u recommend ive read whey but theres diffrent one can utell me which one is the correxct! Thankyou :)

• LO July 24, 2013 at 10:50 am #

It does not matter what protein shake you chose, more expensive ones does not always mean better

36. saraikouture October 21, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

Thank you, I was so wrong. I bought a protein powder to help me gain weight but just as you said I’m trying to gain fat as well. It has a good amount of carbs and fat but I also need to make sure I’m eating high amount of carbs and fat on my own. Something affected my personally and my appetite hasn’t been the same. Earlier this year the protein powder did help get me finally to 120lbs. (I’m 5’7) and I was wondering why I didnt “see it” much. But thanks to this article I know it was because I wasn’t eating right and the weight was lean muscle. However lately I’ve had an appetite but I’m not able to eat a lot. Maybe only a snack and dinner, now I am 112lbs :(( . Its saddening because im used to being able to pack food down, i could eat a lot but now my stomach gets full quickly. Do you know of anything that’d boost my appetite or is it best to try on my own. Thanks so much for this site by the way!!

37. Jenny November 11, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Im 29 but i am only 5ft, im a size 6 and struggle continuously with my weight fluctuating, im usually very active but i am scared to go the gym incase i lose too much weight. I can eat as much as my brothers but seem to burn off calories so easily. Ive become obsessed with my calories counting. I fluctuate between 7st 2 – 7st 6 and i just would love to reach 8st so i can at least participate in some gym activities or exerices without worrying. If anyone has any advice it is much appreciated.
    Many thanks

Jenny, very worried :-(

38. asima November 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

hi my name is asmia and i want to gain weight and i eat alot but never seem to gain weight at all what do you recommend ? plus would any protein shake help me put some pounds on thanks

• LO November 29, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

Hi Asima, read this article about protein and you will have the answer

About eating enough, you should count your calories to make sure you really get that much you need,if you donät count, it is hard to know how much you eat per day

39. Audrey Lampley December 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Thank you !!!

40. Andria February 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm #

hi i have a slim body already but i kind of want to loose some fat in my belly and i want to know if replacing food with some protein shakes is a good idea
    i also want to tone up my butt and thighs what would you suggest

41. mel March 8, 2014 at 6:50 am #

Hi lo
    im trying to bulk for almost a year now and not seeimg much results. i know its bc i dnt eat that much but my job doesnt let me so i was thinking about buying a protein powderr with alot of caloríes et carbs. which onne do you recommend? I heard about Quickmass its tasty :)))

Lo does not respond due to having a break form this blog

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s